All it takes is 3 chords and a dream!

Thursday, June 5, 2008

CD Review: Fourwayfree - Deeper


Fourwayfree – Deeper
2008, Fill-in-the-blank


Let’s get this out of the way up front: Yes, there is a definite Dave Matthews vibe going on here. Fourwayfree has the same sort of easy-going sonic chutzpah as early DMB, where the songs just take on a life of their own. Yet Fourwayfree is musically more intricate and lyrical than DMB ever attained. Lead vocalist Genji has a mellow every-man approach that makes the songs exceedingly accessible, and the songwriting is amazing. The musical architecture is atypical for rock music, and the lyrics are pure poetry. Deeper is a stunning success.

Gasoline is one of the most interesting tracks on the album. It’s a song written to an insecure significant other, and is striking for the reality of the conversation(s) it portrays (You said, “When I’m in focus I’m still hopelessly a blur” / and I said, “I can’t help it, that’s my favorite color”) Done is another must-hear, as “I’m out of here” song if there ever was one (Maybe I’ll slip/slide down on my face / at least I’m out of this place). This blues/funk rocker opens with a riff reminiscent of Clapton or Hendrix as their down-and-dirty best.

I am not going to sit here and synopsize each song, although Deeper probably deserves such treatment. Fourwayfree is a musician’s band; a lyricist/poet’s band; the whole package. From simple ballads to lush, layered musical constructs to intricate guitar work, the songs brought forth by Fourwayfree on Deeper are musical gems. Deeper gets the highest recommendation Wildy’s World can give: Yep, it’s a Desert Island Disc folks! Don’t hesitate. Check out Fourwayfree’s Deeper, and anything else of theirs you can your hands on.

Rating: 5 Stars (Out of 5)

You can learn more about Fourwayfree at www.fourwayfree.com, where you can purchase a copy of Deeper!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can't tell you how happy I am to read this. I've been following this band for awhile and wondering why everyone isn't just raving about them. If you get a chance to see them live - do it!!