All it takes is 3 chords and a dream!

Sunday, April 26, 2009

Review: Fireworks - All I Have To Offer Is My Own Confusion


Fireworks - All I Have To Offer Is My Own Confusion
2009, Triple Crown Records


Brains and brawn go hand in hand on All I Have To Offer Is My Own Confusion, the debut CD by Detroit’s Fireworks on Triple Crown Records. With a lead vocalist (David Mackinder) who sounds disturbingly like Anthony Rapp (Rent) and a muscular guitar-based sound, Fireworks wend their way through eleven intelligent and well-crafted songs. This disc is a nice surprise, based in Modern Rock but more complex and well-crafted than a lot of the stuff you'll hear on Modern Rock stations.

The disc opens with Geography, Vonnegut And Me, an energetic Pop/Punk anthem that is radio-ready and just off beat enough to get noticed. 2923 Monroe Street has a wonderful dark pop sense to it. This is what hits are made of, strong melodic lines, great vocals, accessible lyrics and an arrangement that kicks tail without abandoning that strong sensibility that seems to be at Fireworks' fingertips throughout the CD. You've Lost Your Charm is another example of the Punk/Pop sound that Fireworks brings to the table. This is one of the most purely radio-ready debuts I've heard thus far in 2009. Detroit represents two sides of Rock City, with a chorus reminiscent of classic KISS and verses that echo the thriving punk scene. Other highlights include Holiday, Again And Again and When We Stand On Each Other We Block Out The Sun.

Fireworks has a strongly commercial sound built on a marriage of Pop and Punk and lots of guitar. All I Have To Offer Is My Own Confusion is one of those albums that with the right push could be a monster hit. Ten years ago they would have been an MTV Buzz Band for sure. Make sure you check out All I Have To Offer Is My Own Confusion, and if Fireworks comes to town, line up for the show. You won't regret it.

Rating: 4 Stars (Out of 5)

You can learn more about Fireworks at www.myspace.com/fireworks. You can purchase a copy of All I Have To Offer Is My Own Confusion from Amazon.com, or download the album through iTunes. You can catch Fireworks on Tour with New Found Glory through May 10, 2009.

No comments: