All it takes is 3 chords and a dream!

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Relay for Life

Good evening, folks!

I want to take a few minutes tonight to talk to you about a cause that is near and dear to my heart.  On July 28th and 29th of this year, I will be walking in the Relay for Life in the town of Geneva, NY.  My family has seen its share of cancer over the years, with my grandfather, Cecil Haskell, my uncle Albert Haskell, and my dad, William G. Haskell, all succumbing to cancer in one form or another.  Now cancer has touched my extended family as well, as my mother in law bravely stares stage 4 lung cancer in the face.

I can't bring back those who have passed on, and the actions I take in July will do little for those fighting today, but events like the Relay for Life can have a profound impact on the chances of survival of those who may one day face this disease.

So I am banding together with family and friends to walk through the night in memory of all who have lost their battle and those who live to fight another day.  We also walk to give hope to our children, that perhaps one day cancer will be an afterthought.

I have a personal fundraising page for the Relay for Life, hosted by The American Cancer Society.  You can check it out here.  I have set a personal fundraising goal of $2,500.00, and I hope to meet it.  You can meet the rest of our team on the Cave Crashers team page.  Anyone in Western or Central New York who wants to join our team is more than welcome, or if you'd care to donate or send good wishes, those are welcome as well.

Now here's the deal.  My personal goal is $2,500.00.  If I meet that goal by July 27th, 2012, I will, in honor of those who have battled, and in homage to those who helped me reach my goal, shave my head.  Further, I will videotape the event and post it here for all of you to see. 

Also, this week is Spring Into Relay, a kick-starter event for the fundraising drive leading up to the Relay.  Each team has been tasked to raise $100.00 through March 27, 2012.  To that end, anyone making a donation of at least $15.00 on my individual page between now and March 27, 2012 will receive a free one month ad here on Wildy's World.  As an added bonus, all donations are tax deductible.

It's a great cause folks, and you can claim it on your taxes next year.  Please give it some thought.

No comments: