All it takes is 3 chords and a dream!

Friday, July 27, 2012

A sapphire for my wife

Good day to you.

I am writing to you today with a story that might interest you.  Please read on.

McKenzie Haskell is a wonderful wife and mom.  I know the former because I am the guy who was lucky enough to be chosen by her.  The latter I know because our children, Nathanael (5) and Savannah (4) are turning out to be such wonderful kids.  McKenzie home schools our kids, keeps the families basic needs happening, acts as social director and manages the family finances.

This year I have watched her go through one of the hardest things she will ever do.  You see, McKenzie’s mom is dying of lung cancer. 

There’s no hyperbole there.  McKenzie's mom was diagnosed last August with Stage IV small cell lung cancer.  By the time it was diagnosed it had spread to her chest outside of her lungs, her brain and to other organ systems as well.  She has fought hard, but the doctors have done all they can do now.

This story isn’t unique, of course. 

Not knowing what else to do, McKenzie signed up to participate in the American Cancer Society’s Relay for Life in Geneva, NY on July 28-29, 2012.  She enlisted several of her family members and friends in the cause.  Our team, The Cave Crashers has raised $10,800.00 as of 6:00 PM on 7/27/12.  This is not bad for a small town Relay for Life.

Early on, McKenzie was reading through the support materials for the Relay and that teams can attain a fundraising level of “Sapphire”, which is $15,000.00.  This took on significance for my wife as her mom’s favorite color is Sapphire Blue.  At present we are 1 day away from the Relay, and without some unknown force becoming involved we will not make our team goal of $15,000.00.

This is where I am hoping you might be able to help.  I know you all have great hearts, and I am hoping you will help.  We’ve never been fancy people, but I would like to give this sapphire to my wife this year, in honor of her mom.  Donations can be made through the Cave Crashers team page (American Cancer Society hosted).  The full link is here:

http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR/RelayForLife/RFLFY12EA?pg=team&fr_id=36493&team_id=1139512

I realize I am sending this along late in the game, so to speak.  This is my last ditch effort to get us there.  It’s not going to change the course of things for McKenzie's mom, but it will lift my wife’s spirits in this time to know she got this sapphire for her mom.

Thank you for taking the time to read this either way.  Have a wonderful day.

Wildy

No comments: